Living in Australia
It can be hard to imagine what life will be like in a new country, and even harder to predict everything you might need to organize or take along for your stay.
Reasons to study abroad
Here are some common reasons international students choose Australia as their overseas study destination. Australia has:
- Australians are quite casual and informal. For example, most Australian students refer to their lecturers and tutors by their first names.
- Australians expect everyone to be treated equally. It is common to thank shop assistants and other service staff when they assist you.
- It is important to be on time in Australia — it is polite to call if you are going to be late for an appointment.
- Smoking is not permitted in restaurants, bars, nightclubs or many other public covered areas.
- Littering is prohibited, as is drinking alcohol in a public place.
- International students in Australia can expect to spend AUD$300–$400 per week on accommodation, food, clothing, entertainment, transport, travel, telephone calls and other costs. The amount you spend will vary according to factors such as lifestyle, and the type and location of your course.
If you’re not sure of something, or need an explanation, don’t be afraid to ask. Most Australians will be happy to help you if you’re unsure of something.
Browse through the links on the left-hand menu to help you plan for your stay in Australia.